Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Short Story from Prompt: "I'm not nearly old enough for you..."

“I’m not nearly old enough for you…”
“Shut up, Fred. Chess is incredible.”
Jackson carefully moved his knight forward, calculating the future possibilities. Fred retaliated by casually throwing a pawn two spaces out.
“Seriously, what are you, eighty, ninety? You should seek company your own age, old man.”
“You said if I won COD I could choose the next game.”
“I meant video game,” replied Fred. “Plus, I didn’t think you’d win.”
“And if you’d stop complaining and play the game, you’d see how like COD this is.”
Fred snorted as Jackson moved his knight again, neatly collection Fred’s pawn. “No, man, it isn’t.”
“Oh really. How so?”
Fred moved his rook out into the front line of pawns, nearly knocking over his king in the process. “This is a game for cerebral people. Like, Professor X and stuff. I don’t have the time or attention span to beat someone in chess.”
“But it’s all just strategy,” Jackson said, moving a pawn out one space. “Just like COD. Lots of famous generals used to play chess to keep their skills sharp. Like, Napoleon.”
“Dude, but I’m not nearly smart enough for stuff like this,” replied Fred. He moved the rook and casually collected the knight, throwing the plastic piece between his hands.
“I beg to differ. You just took my knight, man.”
Fred looked at the piece in his hands. “Is it important?”
Yes.
“Huh,” Fred threw the knight in the air one more time. “New deal.”
“Yeah?”
“I win this, we go back to COD.”
“Deal.”
“And you let me command your every move in team mode and be the general.”
“…Fine. But you’re still a chess newbie man.”
“Yeah,” said Fred, grinning and flipping the knight between his fingers. “But I got your little horse man.”
“…Dude, I still have one more of those.”

“Oh.”

No comments:

Post a Comment